Zinc occurs in small amounts in almost all igneous rocks. Zinc imparts an undesirable astringent taste to water. Tests indicate that 5% of a population could distinguish between zinc-free water and water containing zinc at a level of 4mg/litre (as zinc sulfate)*. Water containing zinc at concentrations above the range 3–5 mg/litre also tends to appear opalescent and develops a greasy film when boiled and has an undesirable astringent taste.
In natural surface waters, the concentration of zinc is usually below 10 μg/litre, and in ground waters, 10–40 μg/litre*. In tapwater, the zinc concentration can be much higher as a result of the leaching of zinc from piping and fittings*. Drinking-water usually makes a negligible contribution to zinc intake unless high concentrations of zinc occur as a result of corrosion of pipings and fittings. Under certain circumstances, tapwater can provide up to 10% of the daily intake*.
(*source: zinc in Drinking Water, Background document for development of WHO Guidelines for Drinking Water Quality)
Benefits of testing for Zinc:
- A certain amount of zinc is required, but an excessive amount can lead to zinc poisoning.
- Symptoms can include fever, nausea, vomiting, stomach cramps and diarrhoea, sometimes accompanied by bleeding and abdominal cramps.
- Increased daily dosage above the recommended dietary allowance has also resulted in copper deficiencies and the impairment of various immune responses.
- A daily dietary requirement of zinc of 0.3mg/kg of body weight and a provisional maximum tolerable daily intake (PMTDI) of 1.0 mg/kg of body weight (35) has been proposed. The daily requirement for adult humans is 15–22 mg/day*.
These patented Zinc Check water quality test strips are easy to use and designed to eliminate the need for breakable meters that require calibration:
- Simple Dip-Wait-Read Testing Method.
- Test strips are stored in a plastic container with a detailed colour chart to protect them.
- Ideal for quick and reliable testing of water.
- Accurate results are achieved in under one minute.
- This product is safe and easy to use since there are no chemicals to mix, an MSDS is not required.
- Factory-calibrated water quality test strips.
- Since there is no glass required to run the test, it is ideal for use in controlled areas.
Suitable for: fresh water samples, including water from taps, wells, springs, boreholes, ponds, as well as rain water
Content: 50 strips
Sensitivity: 0, 2, 5, 10, 20, 40, 100 mg/l
Interferences: Similar colour development may occur in the pressence of Cu+2 (>0.1ppm), Mn+2 (>5ppm) and Fe+2 (>10ppm).
Total Test Time: 23 seconds
How to Use:
- Dip one strip into a water sample for 3 seconds.
- Remove the strip and shake once to remove excess water.
- Wait 20 seconds for the colour to develop, and match with the closest colour match to determine your concentration of Zinc. Complete colour matching within 20 seconds.
Please note: Most interferences from other metals can be overcome by adjusting the pH between 4.0 to 5.5 and adding sufficient Sodium Thiosulfate before test analysis. Since Zinc also forms a weak Thiosulfate complex, this test is empirical and demands the use of identical techniques for sample with and without the Thiosulfate. Store in a cool, dry (below 32°C) place and away from excess heat and direct sunlight.
Keep away from children and pets. Avoid contact of test areas on strips with skin & eyes, do not ingest or expose to acids.
Made in USA
If your query is related to an existing order please email in with your order number in the subject line. If you have a new residential enquiry please consult the online guides before calling as they may answer your question.
The delivery information page is divided into 1. Specific and 2. General delivery information below.1. Specific Delivery Information relating to product lines
- Small items dispatched daily with RM24 ~85% arriving next day
- Large items (UK made) typically 5 - 15 working days (Parcelforce/APC etc)
- 1,000 litre compact underground rainwater tank
- 250 litre Prestige large Plant Pot style planter Grey
- SAR40-TOP2 Wastewater Lifting station
- 250 litre Classic Slim Wall Water butt
- Green Roof sedum tray - pre planted option
We're a Manchester based company and ship to the UK at our standard rates. Please get in touch requesting the delivery surcharge value if you are based in the Highlands or a UK island.
We no longer support ordering from the EU and Northern Ireland through the website. We can support ad hoc orders with limited liability.
Our design and Prestige range is available in the Netherlands, Ireland, Belgium, France, Germany, through our distributors.
Stock items will be dispatched on the day of order, if ordered before 1pm.
Letters are sent 1st class.
Parcels <2kg are shipped with Royal Mail 24 Tracked with the following target delivery times.
Guaranteed delivery can be arranged by advance agreement. This agreement is back to back with the courier and we will not be liable for any delays as per our terms.
A loss/replacement can only be pursued in line with the target delivery times of the courier or once the courier accept loss.
Bulky items (and pallet deliveries) are dispatched within 2-15 working days. We will request a contact number if this has not been provided at checkout.
Some items are made to order (bespoke) and details are given on the listing for dispatch times. If for any reason we anticipate a delay on our normal dispatch time we will contact you to let you know.
Occasionally there are delays. We shall not be liable for any direct or indirect losses, costs, damages or expenses incurred by you or any other person for any delays in delivery.
Missed deliveries where attempted delivery has been made usually result in re-deliveries the following day. The customer is responsible for organising re deliveries by contacting the courier direct.
Parcels/deliveries can only be "left out" if the delivering company allows that option. Parcelforce, for example, do not allow a parcel to be "left out".
We are an environment centric business and as such we try to minimise our waste. Our packaging is usually recycled and/or recyclable and we make efficient use of packaging to minimise wastage.
Covid delivery updates between 12.3.20 and 11.1.21 21 have been archived here.