Zinc occurs in small amounts in almost all igneous rocks. Zinc imparts an undesirable astringent taste to water. Tests indicate that 5% of a population could distinguish between zinc-free water and water containing zinc at a level of 4mg/litre (as zinc sulfate)*. Water containing zinc at concentrations above the range 3–5 mg/litre also tends to appear opalescent and develops a greasy film when boiled and has an undesirable astringent taste.
In natural surface waters, the concentration of zinc is usually below 10 μg/litre, and in ground waters, 10–40 μg/litre*. In tapwater, the zinc concentration can be much higher as a result of the leaching of zinc from piping and fittings*. Drinking-water usually makes a negligible contribution to zinc intake unless high concentrations of zinc occur as a result of corrosion of pipings and fittings. Under certain circumstances, tapwater can provide up to 10% of the daily intake*.
(*source: zinc in Drinking Water, Background document for development of WHO Guidelines for Drinking Water Quality)
Benefits of testing for Zinc:
- A certain amount of zinc is required, but an excessive amount can lead to zinc poisoning.
- Symptoms can include fever, nausea, vomiting, stomach cramps and diarrhoea, sometimes accompanied by bleeding and abdominal cramps.
- Increased daily dosage above the recommended dietary allowance has also resulted in copper deficiencies and the impairment of various immune responses.
- A daily dietary requirement of zinc of 0.3mg/kg of body weight and a provisional maximum tolerable daily intake (PMTDI) of 1.0 mg/kg of body weight (35) has been proposed. The daily requirement for adult humans is 15–22 mg/day*.
These patented Zinc Check water quality test strips are easy to use and designed to eliminate the need for breakable meters that require calibration:
- Simple Dip-Wait-Read Testing Method.
- Test strips are stored in a plastic container with a detailed colour chart to protect them.
- Ideal for quick and reliable testing of water.
- Accurate results are achieved in under one minute.
- This product is safe and easy to use since there are no chemicals to mix, an MSDS is not required.
- Factory-calibrated water quality test strips.
- Since there is no glass required to run the test, it is ideal for use in controlled areas.
Suitable for: fresh water samples, including water from taps, wells, springs, boreholes, ponds, as well as rain water
Content: 50 strips
Sensitivity: 0, 2, 5, 10, 20, 40, 100 mg/l
Interferences: Similar colour development may occur in the pressence of Cu+2 (>0.1ppm), Mn+2 (>5ppm) and Fe+2 (>10ppm).
Total Test Time: 23 seconds
How to Use:
- Dip one strip into a water sample for 3 seconds.
- Remove the strip and shake once to remove excess water.
- Wait 20 seconds for the colour to develop, and match with the closest colour match to determine your concentration of Zinc. Complete colour matching within 20 seconds.
Please note: Most interferences from other metals can be overcome by adjusting the pH between 4.0 to 5.5 and adding sufficient Sodium Thiosulfate before test analysis. Since Zinc also forms a weak Thiosulfate complex, this test is empirical and demands the use of identical techniques for sample with and without the Thiosulfate. Store in a cool, dry (below 32°C) place and away from excess heat and direct sunlight.
Keep away from children and pets. Avoid contact of test areas on strips with skin & eyes, do not ingest or expose to acids.
Made in USA
We are fully operational and continue to dispatch.
*Dispatch to the EU AND NI will be temporarily suspended until further notice - please accept our apologies.*
With the current situation, delays with delivery are expected due to lockdowns, reduced staffing, inundation of couriers from increased online ordering and a shortage of UK haulage drivers.
- Small items dispatched daily with RM24 ~85% arriving next day
- Large items (UK made) typically 5 - 15 working days (Parcelforce/Tuffnells etc.)
- Irrigatia tank systems
- 800l wall tank
- Enduramaxx tanks (all sizes)
- Verticle Water Tank 1400 - 20,000 Litre (all sizes)
- water butt planters: Midi-Metropolitan, Metropolitan, Tall City, City, 280l water butt planter
- 280, 350, 400, 500, 650 V1, V2 and V3 rainwater tanks
- 525l rainwater tank
- All size water pillars
- 1275l wall tank
- 75,85 litre compact tanks
- 105 wall mounted
- Heavy duty design water butt stands
- 420l Just Water
- 1,900l slimline
- 1,100l Tank
- All size D-shaped tank
- 75l / 85l Mini Tank
- 200l slim wall hung water butt
- 1350 Slimline water tank
- Horizontal Water Tank 2500 Litre
- Rattan (oak, orange and blue)
- 800l Wall Tank - Green
- 800l Green Wall Tank - All Filters
*Stock inventory is changing, EU inventory, previously available next day, will no longer form Stock Inventory*
Covid delivery updates between 12.3.20 and 11.1.21 21 have been archived here.
===========================================================*Delays, in some cases significant delays, are being experienced on some EU stock items. Please call in advance for stock items*
We're a Manchester based company and ship to the UK at our standard rates. Please get in touch if you are based in the Highlands, UK island or Northern Ireland, surcharges may apply.
We also ship all small items (<2kg) to the EU at standard rates which can be seen at checkout. For larger items or quotes for other destinations please get in touch.
We ship all small items (<2kg) Worldwide.
Our design and Prestige range is available in the Netherlands, Ireland, Belgium, France, Germany, direct or through our distributors.
Stock items will be dispatched on the day of order, if ordered before 1pm.
Letters are sent 1st class.
Parcels <2kg are shipped with Royal Mail 24 Tracked with the following target delivery times.
A loss/replacement can only be pursued in line with the target delivery times of the courier or once the courier accept loss.
Bulky items (and pallet deliveries) are dispatched within 2-5 working days. We will request a contact number if this has not been provided at checkout.
Some items are made to order (bespoke) and details are given on the listing for dispatch times. If for any reason we anticipate a delay on our normal dispatch time we will contact you to let you know.
Occasionally there are delays. We shall not be liable for any direct or indirect losses, costs, damages or expenses incurred by you or any other person for any delays in delivery.
Missed deliveries where attempted delivery has been made usually result in re-deliveries the following day. The customer is responsible for organising re deliveries by contacting the courier direct.
Parcels/deliveries can only be "left out" if the delivering company allows that option. Parceforce, for example, do not allow a parcel to be "left out".
We are an environment centric business and as such we try to minimise our waste. Our packaging is usually recycled and/or recyclable and we make efficient use of packaging to minimise wastage.