Total Dissolved Solids (TDS) are the total amount of mobile charged ions, including minerals, inorganic salts or metals dissolved in a given volume of water, these elements are usually calcium, magnesium, sodium, and potassium cations and carbonate, hydrogencarbonate, chloride, sulfate, and nitrate anions. TDS is directly related to the purity of water and the quality of water purification systems.
The presence of Total Dissolved Solids may affect the taste of water. The palatability of drinking water has been rated by panels of tasters in relation to its TDS level as follows**:
- excellent, less than 300 mg/litre;
- good, between 300 and 600 mg/litre;
- fair, between 600 and 900 mg/litre;
- poor, between 900 and 1200 mg/litre; and
- unacceptable, greater than 1200 mg/litre.
- water with extremely low concentrations of TDS may also be unacceptable because of its flat, insipid taste.
(** source: WHO Guidelines for Drinking Water Quality, Total Dissolved Solids in Drinking Water)
The EPA* Secondary Regulations advise a maximum contamination level of 500mg/litre (=500 parts per million (ppm)) for TDS. When TDS levels exceed 1000mg/l it is generally considered unfit for human consumption. A high level of TDS is an indicator of potential concerns, and warrants further investigation. Most often, high levels of TDS are caused by the presence of potassium, chlorides and sodium. These ions have little or no short-term effects, but toxic ions (lead arsenic, cadmium, nitrate and others) may also be dissolved in the water.
Water purification system, like Reverse Osmosis systems require regular monitoring for TDS to ensure the filters and/or membranes are effectively removing unwanted particles and bacteria from your water.
*EPA = US Environmental Protection Agency
Benefits of testing for TDS:
- Taste/ Health: High TDS results in undesirable taste which could be salty, bitter, or metallic. It could also indicate the presence of toxic minerals.
- Filter performance: Test your water to make sure the reverse osmosis or other type of water filter or water purification system has a high rejection rate and know when to change your filter (or membrane) cartridges.
- Hardness: High TDS indicates Hard water, which causes scale buildup in pipes and valves, inhibiting performance.
- Aquariums/Aquaculture: A constant level of minerals is necessary for aquatic life. The water in an aquarium or tank should have the same levels of TDS and pH as the fish and reef's original habitat.
- Pools and Spas: TDS levels must be monitored to prevent maintenance problems.
These TDS water quality test strips are easy to use and designed to eliminate the need for breakable meters that require calibration:
- Simple Dip-Wait-Read Testing Method
- Test strips are stored in a plastic container with a detailed colour chart to protect them
- Ideal for quick and reliable testing of water
- Accurate results are achieved in under one minute
- This product is safe and easy to use since there are no chemicals to mix, an MSDS is not required
- Factory-calibrated water quality test strips
- Dip one test strip into water sample for 2 seconds.
- Remove strip and shake once briskly to remove excess sample.
- Wait 10 seconds and match colour with closest on colour chart. Complete colour matching within the next 20 seconds.
Sensititvity: <50, 100, 250, 500, >750 mg/l (ppm)
Total testing time: 32 seconds
Content: 50 test strips
Please note: Store in a cool, dry (below 32°C) place and away from excess heat and direct sunlight. No MSDS required. Keep away from children and pets. Avoid contact of test areas on strips with skin & eyes, do not ingest or expose to acids.
Made in USA
If your query is related to an existing order please email in with your order number in the subject line. If you have a new residential enquiry please consult the online guides before calling as they may answer your question.
The delivery information page is divided into 1. Specific and 2. General delivery information below.1. Specific Delivery Information relating to product lines
- Small items dispatched daily with RM24 ~85% arriving next day
- Large items (UK made) typically 5 - 15 working days (Parcelforce/APC etc)
- 1,000 litre compact underground rainwater tank
- 250 litre Prestige large Plant Pot style planter Grey
- SAR40-TOP2 Wastewater Lifting station
- 250 litre Classic Slim Wall Water butt
- Green Roof sedum tray - pre planted option
We're a Manchester based company and ship to the UK at our standard rates. Please get in touch requesting the delivery surcharge value if you are based in the Highlands or a UK island.
We no longer support ordering from the EU and Northern Ireland through the website. We can support ad hoc orders with limited liability.
Our design and Prestige range is available in the Netherlands, Ireland, Belgium, France, Germany, through our distributors.
Stock items will be dispatched on the day of order, if ordered before 1pm.
Letters are sent 1st class.
Parcels <2kg are shipped with Royal Mail 24 Tracked with the following target delivery times.
Guaranteed delivery can be arranged by advance agreement. This agreement is back to back with the courier and we will not be liable for any delays as per our terms.
A loss/replacement can only be pursued in line with the target delivery times of the courier or once the courier accept loss.
Bulky items (and pallet deliveries) are dispatched within 2-15 working days. We will request a contact number if this has not been provided at checkout.
Some items are made to order (bespoke) and details are given on the listing for dispatch times. If for any reason we anticipate a delay on our normal dispatch time we will contact you to let you know.
Occasionally there are delays. We shall not be liable for any direct or indirect losses, costs, damages or expenses incurred by you or any other person for any delays in delivery.
Missed deliveries where attempted delivery has been made usually result in re-deliveries the following day. The customer is responsible for organising re deliveries by contacting the courier direct.
Parcels/deliveries can only be "left out" if the delivering company allows that option. Parcelforce, for example, do not allow a parcel to be "left out".
We are an environment centric business and as such we try to minimise our waste. Our packaging is usually recycled and/or recyclable and we make efficient use of packaging to minimise wastage.
Covid delivery updates between 12.3.20 and 11.1.21 21 have been archived here.